turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TSS produce more felt recoil?

Started by TonyTurk, March 06, 2021, 08:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyTurk

Went to the range today to fire my 1187 20 ga with 21" barrel.  Wanted to try different chokes and loads to see what works best for me.

I got more-than-acceptable hunting patterns with both Federal TSS 1.5 oz #9s at 1100 FPS, as well as Hevi 1.25 oz #7s at 1090 FPS, at ranges varying from 20 to 40 yards.  Using a Carlson's .575 turkey choke. 

I noticed a LOT more recoil in the little gun with the TSS loads.  The difference, at least to my shoulder, was pretty extreme.  Am I just imagining things?  Has anyone else noticed a harder kick from the TSS?

Vintage

i think it kicks way a lot harder.

12point

I know the TSS Apex 3.5's with the tighter chokes do, out of Mossberg's 835

ShortMagFan

The same payload at the same velocity will kick the same whether its tss, steel, lead or fairy dust

sasquatch1

It's the payload. 1-5/8 plus oz loads is ALOT. Especially in a 20 where the average load is 1oz

12 ya duck loads average around 1-1/4 oz.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

To move that heavier payload forward there has to be a heavier push backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gobblers roost

20 guage 2 3/4 load is hotter and recoils more 3" 20 not so bad.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

TonyTurk

Quote from: sasquatch1 on March 07, 2021, 03:35:29 AM
It's the payload. 1-5/8 plus oz loads is ALOT. Especially in a 20 where the average load is 1oz

12 ya duck loads average around 1-1/4 oz.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

To move that heavier payload forward there has to be a heavier push backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I guess I just didn't expect to feel that much difference between a 1.5 oz load and a 1.25 oz load that are traveling at virtually the same speed.  But considering how lightweight the gun is, this makes sense.

I'm just glad I got good patterns out of two different offerings that I am stocked up on.  Finding ammo in stock nowadays is a chore, even turkey loads are becoming scarce.

2eagles

Quote from: ShortMagFan on March 06, 2021, 09:41:55 PM
The same payload at the same velocity will kick the same whether its tss, steel, lead or fairy dust
There's the correct answer. Sir Isaac Newton would be proud.