turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trough style

Started by napier011, May 05, 2024, 08:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

napier011

Hey all, needing some input on trough calls. What are they great for, how versatile are they and other than volume, what can a friction call do that a trough style can't? TIA

mastevt

It's just my opinion, because I do make and sell alot of them, Troughs produce a much better yalk than a pot call.  I can't say about a box call, because I really don't use one.  I pretty much only use my Trough call.  Called in alot of birds with it.  Have alot of customers that love them.  Several guys on here have them, maybe they will chime in and give their opinions. But they do produce a wide range of tones depending on where you play it, at least mine do, and you can play them soft or loud.  Very effective call in my opinion.

Lcmacd 58

Quote from: mastevt on May 05, 2024, 09:09:13 PMIt's just my opinion, because I do make and sell alot of them, Troughs produce a much better yalk than a pot call.  I can't say about a box call, because I really don't use one.  I pretty much only use my Trough call.  Called in alot of birds with it.  Have alot of customers that love them.  Several guys on here have them, maybe they will chime in and give their opinions. But they do produce a wide range of tones depending on where you play it, at least mine do, and you can play them soft or loud.  Very effective call in my opinion.

I'm glad you chimed in ..... I own 1 of his calls and it went every trip this year .... and its very forgiving .... I've got a 9 yr old running 1 pretty good

Sir-diealot

I like that you can direct a trough call much better than a pot call.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

sbbow

Here is one of Scott's trough calls in cherry. His calls a craftsmanship are top notch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Never cared for a tough call myself... I like pot calls a lot better. IMO .. Tough call is one of the few calls I have bought and sold within a short period of time.

Greg Massey

I will add with a pot call you can gain more of a range of sounds because you can play the edge and center of the pot and with a tough call your pretty much limited to the center of the call. IMO

mastevt

Here's one I just finished.  It's got stabilized and Dyed Honey Locust and RedBud in green resin. 
Sound file.
https://youtu.be/Dp9qslVnfUU?si=9HAw9ZwM9h-iP7OL

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Lcmacd 58

Thats just cool .... you do awesome work

kayl

I don't have one of Scott's troughs yet, but he sure makes a beautiful call and is happy to personalize them for you. (I have 2 custom pot calls from him and will be ordering another shortly!) I highly recommend him!

shatcher

There is a fellow on here full of opinions, but I doubt he's ever killed a turkey!