OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shells for life

Started by WTNUT, February 15, 2021, 09:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PalmettoRon

That is an excellent article. TP was hoarded in 2020. Guns and ammo  are the new TP for the last half of 2020 and now 2021. It's truly a problem with many causes. My OCD nature had me well stocked long ago for no particular reason.I probably need to update my will re: guns, ammo, calls, turkey books. I think most hard core turkey hunters are by nature obsessive people.

Which Gun

Exactly.  I've always planned ahead. 20 years in military prepares you for rest of the your life. I've been to other countries and seen people with nothing with no way of making anything better. You don't wait around for things to happen then react.

You don't look for a new turkey gun right before turkey season. I've got a new pot call on order that I ordered awhile back should be here plenty of time to practice with before season.

Just saying no one blame but yourself if you didn't see what was coming and didn't prepare.

Dtrkyman

I have approx. 20rds loaded up and 5lbs of 9s waiting. I am good for a few years!  I rarely shoot a turkey load for practice, fortunately my turkey load and a 7.5 dove load shoot the same at 10 yds so I can check my iron sight if needed.

I average 7-10 birds a year though so I need to load that shot up and see where I'm at!

fmf

Quote from: Squidkid on February 16, 2021, 08:36:48 AM

You  can't find a single online store, or any stores you can drive to, that has any ammo to sell.
If the manufacturers are making it as fast as they can, well where is it being shipped to?
I talk to store workers and they say they haven't received a shipment in months.

i know of a few stores with turkey ammo right now.  they are smaller stores in nowhere mississippi, but they have ammo..  ive seen nitro, apex, federal, some hevi

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Remington700 on February 15, 2021, 10:08:54 PM
I've done the same. Now I need #6 high brass for squirrel and rabbit.
Why high brass? Just wondering. Low brass kills just as dead. Brass height mattered for burnouts in paper hulls because the powder column was higher than the brass. The advent of plastic hulls kinda negated it though. Some low brass are pushing the same velocity. Just throwing it out there. Not picking a fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G squared 23

With ammo prices so crazy and shelves empty, I'm considering selling off what I don't need. I don't waterfowl hunt anymore, so now would be a good time to liquidate any steel shells I have around.  I shoot 1-2 turkeys a year, so I'm set for turkey ammo for 5+ years; I shoot 0.5-1 deer with a slug/year, so I'm good for 10 years there.  I do like to try to dove hunt, so that would be the only ammo I might actually need come labor day.  Plenty of .22 to shoot squirrels and paper. Plenty of arrows to shoot deers.  Do usually need some new broadheads, so if those go in short supply, I'll have to resharpen old blades which is a PITA.

jwm1485

My dad always told me to buy a box of ammo when I would get my paycheck. Now at 35 im sitting pretty.

B Rogers

Definitely some good advice given today's situation.

ShootingABN!

Still no factory Winchester turkey loads hitting the shelves here in South MS.

I wrote to Winchester and they said they are working as hard as they can. Even big box stores don't have any... So????

rbreedi1

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but when these manufacturers are saying they are pumping out ammo at never before seen rates.. I call BS. Plus, I don't believe everything I hear or see.. money can make people do things you wouldn't think.
Thunder Ridge Totes

mtns2hunt

Quote from: rbreedi1 on February 17, 2021, 12:58:52 PM
I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but when these manufacturers are saying they are pumping out ammo at never before seen rates.. I call BS. Plus, I don't believe everything I hear or see.. money can make people do things you wouldn't think.

I don't think there is a conspiracy per say. But I am sure there is some finagling of prices from manufacture to middle man to store. Everyone sees a chance to squeeze a few cents in a time of uncertainty.

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

PALongspur

Quote from: Which Gun on February 16, 2021, 07:49:00 AM
  No, has nothing to do with military order. There's a video out from one of the major bullet manufactures saying they're making bullets and shells as fast as they can. It has to do with more gun sales to people that have never bought guns before. You have gun, you need bullets. 

Now, you have everyone like yourself buying up everything when they find it. According to what I've researched it will take two years to get back to normal on ammo. Everyone should have learned from the 22 ammo shortage. Buy some here and there. Shotgun shells sit on selves year round buy box every now then like I do you'll have them stacked up. Walmart every year has close outs on turkey shells. I'm sitting great there to.  I'll leave it at that. Happy hunting make that first shot count.

This post hits the nail squarely on the head!

M,Yingling

Quote from: WTNUT on February 15, 2021, 09:54:57 PM
I have been so frustrated trying to find shotgun shells to use on upland hunts in recent months,  that I bought enough turkey loads to last me for three lifetimes.   If I win the lottery,  retire and hunt every day of the season starting in the south early spring and ending up north late spring for the rest of my life I will NOT run out of shells !

yes the high brass #6 are non existent in my area also ,, we do a ton of crow hunting and always nice have a 6 for last shot ,,, we are pretty much stuck with 7 1/2 s or 8 s low brass Their still runninng $9 a box      surprisingly ,,, tss and turkey shells are still plentiful ,, not to many hording    $40 $50   boxs of shells i guess   
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

M,Yingling

Quote from: Squidkid on February 16, 2021, 08:36:48 AM

You  can't find a single online store, or any stores you can drive to, that has any ammo to sell.
If the manufacturers are making it as fast as they can, well where is it being shipped to?
I talk to store workers and they say they haven't received a shipment in months.

We was in a bigger outdoor store few weeks back looking at ammo and fellow just push a cart out with ammo on it put on selves lol  just me and a buddy was near him ,, he had few boxs of pistol, rifle and shoot ,,,, but we watched 6 different guys walk in the door and straight to that cart ,,, iam sure who is ever stocking shelfs calls their buddies let them know they got shipment of ammo in LOL       
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Fullfan

Prob 10 years ago or so, when Federal introduced the Heviweight in #7 shot. I bought every box I could find. Had a good supply of 3" and 3.5" in #6's. Last I counted I had 4-6 of the 10 shot boxes and 45-50 of the 5 shot boxes.  I can date the 10 shot boxes bt the price, 26.00.  Took me a while to find a choke that would pattern them well.  And then along came TSS, it is a game changer. Turning my 20's into lethal killers. Loaded up some more this morning, have about 90 loaded, and 7 pounds of 9's waiting.
Don't gobble at me...