turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shells for life

Started by WTNUT, February 15, 2021, 09:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTNUT

I have been so frustrated trying to find shotgun shells to use on upland hunts in recent months,  that I bought enough turkey loads to last me for three lifetimes.   If I win the lottery,  retire and hunt every day of the season starting in the south early spring and ending up north late spring for the rest of my life I will NOT run out of shells !

Remington700

I've done the same. Now I need #6 high brass for squirrel and rabbit.

MO_HUNTER

Good call, based on how things are currently going!

B Rogers

I feel the frustration as well. Stocked up on some steel for duck season next year just in case as well.

WTNUT

A good friend of mine says it may be due in part to a lack of primers.   He said the military put in an enormous order for shells last Sept., and there are only 4 or so primer manufactures in the U.S.
The order backed up those primer manufacturers for months.  I have not idea if that is correct,  but if so I suppose Trump was trying to make sure the military at least had enough bullets to do their own hunting when needed - albeit a different type. 

2eagles

Yeah, I'm in pretty good shape to last my lifetime. It's so bad right now, my hunting sons might be happier with ammo I could leave them than the little money I have.

zelmo1

Reloading TSS saved me. I bought enough to shoot that 20 and 28 forever. I hope everyone gets what they need. Al

fmf

I've got enough for about 6 or 7 years. I hate to buy more than that in case a new load comes out that i want to try or switch to. Case in point, those rogue loads look pretty interesting to me right now

ElkTurkMan

I believe I have enough  turkey shells as well to last my lifetime.  I wish I could say that for the other ammo I use when chasing the bigger critters.

Which Gun

No, has nothing to do with military order. There's a video out from one of the major bullet manufactures saying they're making bullets and shells as fast as they can. It has to do with more gun sales to people that have never bought guns before. You have gun, you need bullets. 

Now, you have everyone like yourself buying up everything when they find it. According to what I've researched it will take two years to get back to normal on ammo. Everyone should have learned from the 22 ammo shortage. Buy some here and there. Shotgun shells sit on selves year round buy box every now then like I do you'll have them stacked up. Walmart every year has close outs on turkey shells. I'm sitting great there to.  I'll leave it at that. Happy hunting make that first shot count.

Loyalist84

I've been thinking about this lately too - while the ammo shortage in Canada isn't nearly what it seems to be in the States, I still have a devil of a time finding the .22 ammunition I like for small game in any serious quantity. What would you folks consider a lifetime supply anyway? 50 shells? 100? I suppose it depends on how many states you could hunt in a given year as much as anything.

Squidkid

You  can't find a single online store, or any stores you can drive to, that has any ammo to sell.
If the manufacturers are making it as fast as they can, well where is it being shipped to?
I talk to store workers and they say they haven't received a shipment in months.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Squidkid on February 16, 2021, 08:36:48 AM

You  can't find a single online store, or any stores you can drive to, that has any ammo to sell.
If the manufacturers are making it as fast as they can, well where is it being shipped to?
I talk to store workers and they say they haven't received a shipment in months.

I have seen small quantities in local stores and online. Many stores are limiting amounts to each person. I wonder what a lifetime supply of Turkey shells consist of? I only shoot 3 or 4 a year unless I go out of state.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

ChesterCopperpot

Good article on current shortage. Much like our turkey declines, many contributing factors stacked up all at once. https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2021/2/5/the-truth-behind-the-great-ammo-crisis?fbclid=IwAR22YynlaMM_2FU7H_FX6JAofYRpTYvhxaFMZRqTyD6IKF5MuDaD0QhJriY#.YB9Rmd3HvT0.twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which Gun

If it's all bought up everywhere all shelves can't be stocked all at once. Online is the last place to look takes little effort sit on your tailbone and order stuff. Talked to some friends two hours away from me shop there has plenty of TSS on shelve.  I've found out store workers hold stuff for there selves, family and close friends. Seen it done. YOU don't wait to buy turkey shells right before turkey season more of a demand. You don't wait during a heated election year to by ammo and guns when the incoming President says he going to make it tough on gun owners. Not even order gun parts on the internet.

Like I said in comment above two years to get back to normal if normal comes back