turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Overwhelmed this week

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, February 13, 2021, 09:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

It's this time of year when my mind turns from duck hunting to turkey hunting.  I usually get my recommendations on turkey gear from folks on here.  I have found out lately that a lot of call makers sell their wares on Facebook, so I created a Facebook account to keep up with those and to contact them easily if I see something I like.  In doing that I've made some better connections with folks I see on this site and that has been rewarding.  However, I have been overwhelmed by the number of turkey call makers I've found on Facebook!  I had no idea so many people were making custom calls!  I even found a call maker or two that have shops about 30 minutes or less from me.  With so many call makers out there it's hard to choose who to purchase from.  That being said, I go back to folks on this forum to get the skinny on call makers.  Just had to share what's been on my mind the past few days...
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Turkeytider

One of the things I`ve noticed is that, depending on the type of call one might be interested in, there are some recurring, almost "standard " names that come up. If I were seriously in the market for a new call, I would concentrate on those. They`re mentioned so often for a reason.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Turkeytider on February 13, 2021, 10:25:21 AM
One of the things I`ve noticed is that, depending on the type of call one might be interested in, there are some recurring, almost "standard " names that come up. If I were seriously in the market for a new call, I would concentrate on those. They`re mentioned so often for a reason.
I know.  I purchase from the call makers on this site.  But I visited a local call maker today that I found on Facebook and he was great to talk to.  He showed me his shop and let me run a few calls he makes.  It was pretty cool that we knew some of the same folks.  I may buy a couple of pots from him and I'll likely get him to make a duck call for my son.  Like many call makers he does this as a hobby post-retirement.  He doesn't put his calls in competitions and he only has a vendor table at a couple of local events each year.  The call making world is bigger and closer to home than I previously thought. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigriverbum

Quote from: Turkeytider on February 13, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

and for some reason the most expensive ones of those names are constantly for sale on here.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: bigriverbum on February 14, 2021, 09:24:21 AM
and for some reason the most expensive ones of those names are constantly for sale on here.

Meleagris gallopavo

Also, there's a good number of call makers on Etsy. 

2eagles

Since you mentioned ducks. There's waterfowl call makers around as well. There's a young guy pretty close to me turning out some really good stuff. Both my sons are blowing his Mud Hen duck calls and love them. One son is the best I have ever seen at talking to geese and bringing them into the decoys. So this call maker wanted Chris to try out two prototypes of a goose call. One he liked. The other Chris made a crazy $$ offer on, but left without it, heartbroken. Lol

catman529

It's insane how many call makers are out there on Facebook. I see a lot of posts asking for call recommendations. There's always several dozen different call makers mentioned it seems like. A few of them are recurring. Seems like a pretty competitive market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro