turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Other Animal Sounds on a Mouth Call

Started by simpzenith, February 13, 2021, 10:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simpzenith

I seem to recall that I read somewhere that the modern turkey mouth call was actually invented as a song bird call. Can anyone confirm that?

I'm always experimenting with the capabilities of a mouth call and have gotten to the point of being able to make some decent vocalizations of other animals and bird species. Loon, Northern Flicker, Red-Shouldered Hawk for examples. I've been working on crow cawing but that's proving difficult so far.  :toothy12:

My question is can any of you make other animal sounds on a mouth call and which animals? Would be cool to hear what you can do.

Greg Massey

No more than i use them, i guess you could say i'm making some kind of animal sounds, just not sure of what animal it is most of the time. LOL... Good luck this spring.

Terry

I'm really good at sounding like a moron, and when I'm really on my game a straight up idiot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derek

I heard this fella on the YouTube that could do a pretty good coyote bark/howl on one
;)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

Happy

Crow call, I wouldn't don't do it with a call you like though

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

MO_HUNTER

Shane - I was at the circus when I was 14 and they were walking around selling a double reeded turkey call. A beautiful lady was walking around with a head mic holding a box full of individually packaged calls. The ring master got quiet and she started talking about what she was sellimg...(10 - 12 dollars I might add) she made every sound from all the circus animals at the show that night, plus sounds we were familiar with from nature and domesticated and wild. Im sure it can be done, as I still remember this from 20+ years ago.

I just have a few like you mentioned, and try to work on more.

derek

I nearly forgot.  Sika deer!  Currently using a diaphragm designed for elk but any high pitched turkey call without cuts works just fine.

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

simpzenith

Quote from: derek on February 13, 2021, 10:51:34 AM
I heard this fella on the YouTube that could do a pretty good coyote bark/howl on one
;)

lol

simpzenith

Quote from: MO_HUNTER on February 13, 2021, 12:09:35 PM
Shane - I was at the circus when I was 14 and they were walking around selling a double reeded turkey call. A beautiful lady was walking around with a head mic holding a box full of individually packaged calls. The ring master got quiet and she started talking about what she was sellimg...(10 - 12 dollars I might add) she made every sound from all the circus animals at the show that night, plus sounds we were familiar with from nature and domesticated and wild. Im sure it can be done, as I still remember this from 20+ years ago.

That had to be interesting to see/hear. Did you buy any?  ;D

Tail Feathers

I have enough trouble sounding like a turkey on one! :TooFunny:

Once in TN I made a passable enough elk call to call a cow elk to about 25 yards. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

MK M GOBL

Besides your normal hen calls, I can gobble and also Elk Cow and Elk Bugle, then Coyote Barks, Howls and also rabbit squeal and a pretty decent crow call.

MK M GOBL

guesswho

Hawk, sandhill crane, elk, and a mating bigfoot.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Dtrkyman

I can get a decent crow out of it, coyote howl is solid.  Elk calls of course.

MO_HUNTER

Quote from: simpzenith on February 13, 2021, 12:35:02 PM
Quote from: MO_HUNTER on February 13, 2021, 12:09:35 PM

That had to be interesting to see/hear. Did you buy any?  ;D

I did not. At the time I wasn't a turkey hunter. I asked for one, but my dad said it was a scam., no way anyone could make those sounds with that thing. Thanks dad!!!

FullChoke

Can confirm.  I owned a little single reed diaphragm bird call when I was a young chap. My mom bought it for me when I was about 12 years old. After a little practice I could tweet and chirp just like a bird with it. Local song birds would call back and come over to see what was so wrong with the one that they heard over there on that bicycle.

And so it began.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.