turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Happy with Pattern Today

Started by Todd1700, May 21, 2011, 11:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd1700

Shot my Mossberg 835 Tactical Turkey with a Hevi Shot choke .676 diameter and a Hevi 13 3 1/2 inch number 7. Wow! 278 pellets inside 10 inches at a laser ranged 40 yards. I know a lot of guys get way better than this but this is by far my best pattern to date. Prior to this the best I had gotten out of this gun with any choke/shell combo was 209. I taped a Mt Dew can behind the bullseye on one shot at 40 yards and the pellets went through the poster paper, the cardboard backing and stripped easily through the can. Got it sighted in and took one last shot at 50 yards and put 155 inside 10 inches at that distance. Will conduct some penetration tests at that distance later. I think I have found my shell and choke combo for next year.

R AJ

ILIKEHEVI-13

That's a very nice pattern. 

Can I ask what .676 choke your using? 

You might be able to even improve on it with the right choke. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Ok I see you said Hevi-Shot choke. 

What is your barrel length on your 835 tactical? 

Todd1700

These little Tactical Turkey Mossberg's only have a 20 inch barrel. I actually like that for hunting in some of the thick places I do. But as with anything in life there is a bit of a trade off. You typically aren't going to get the patterns that some people with a 24 to 26 inch barrel are going to get. I see the way over 300 patterns you guys post and they are awesome looking. But hey, I'm thrilled with 270's inside 10 at 40 out of a shotgun with a 20 inch barrel. That will crush turkeys all day every day and not cost me any limited range handicap.  The best I have every gotten with any gun period prior to this was out of my 870 SM using a rhino choke and a Nitro 4,5,7 duplex load. And that was just 238 in 10 at 40.

allaboutshooting

Congratulations. That's a very nice pattern and as you say, it's really excellent from such a short-barreled shotgun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Ctomp1974

Nice Pattern! I love my 20"er.

Clint

mossy835

WIRE PALADIN

Have gun will travel to your woods to hunt

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

grousec

Great pattern I think.  I have a 935 pistol grip turkey, it has a 22' barrel and I love it and the pistol grip. 
congrats!

OLE RASPY

Quote from: grousec on May 22, 2011, 06:11:49 PM
Great pattern I think.  I have a 935 pistol grip turkey, it has a 22' barrel and I love it and the pistol grip.  
congrats!
22' barrel ought to reach out and get them.That ought to shoot like a rifle and reach out far. :you_rock:  :TooFunny: