turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Different colors of slate ? Pros and Cons

Started by owlhoot, January 26, 2021, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

I've only had grey , regular I guess? I would like to know something about the other types for future call buying decisions . Thanks.

HookedonHooks

If the quality is consistent across all three they are basically all one in the same as far as green, red, and purple are concerned.

I do think that the reds and purples are a little bass-ier than green as it does seem like green runs a little clearer and a little higher to my ear.

The colored will have the sound and reach of a glass call with the playability of slate. Definitely a fantastic choice to have in the arsenal.

Greg Massey

I will add also, regardless the call surfaces , the builder behind the surfaces make the call... some call builder are just better at building pot calls...pick out yourself a good pot call builder , and tell him what sound your wanting and let him , help you with deciding on what surface you need..

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 26, 2021, 07:12:47 PM
I will add also, regardless the call surfaces , the builder behind the surfaces make the call... some call builder are just better at building pot calls...pick out yourself a good pot call builder , and tell him what sound your wanting and let him , help you with deciding on what surface you need..
I second this and would add Buster Halford is a fine choice for a colored slate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bailey3

i have a red from Buster and a purple from Clay, both are really great calls!

M,Yingling

as was said they all are pretty much the same sound   except gray and all in the builder as hooked said green is more clear for who ever made his   but now in my pots the green is deeper raspier then red and purple    little video i did last year when i started messing with colored slates  now these pots are all same dimensions and right in line out same board black cherry ,,,,   and will say like any surface different harder woods will change pitch each color  and only pros  or cons   all in what u want to hear except i think the colored slate handles moisture little better

colored slates 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LLQ00p1N-g
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: M,Yingling on January 26, 2021, 09:33:39 PM
as was said they all are pretty much the same sound   except gray and all in the builder as hooked said green is more clear for who ever made his   but now in my pots the green is deeper raspier then red and purple    little video i did last year when i started messing with colored slates  now these pots are all same dimensions and right in line out same board black cherry ,,,,   and will say like any surface different harder woods will change pitch each color  and only pros  or cons   all in what u want to hear except i think the colored slate handles moisture little better

colored slates 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LLQ00p1N-g
I really appreciated that video when you made it, Mike. To me there's a lot difference in sound and as you said I think it goes gray, green, red, to purple. Personally I like the green. I think the red and purple get to sounding like glass. To my ear the green still carries that slate quality but with a little more rasp and tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Each has its own based on the hardness. Red is the hardest, green is between red and regular gray and to my shame I've never messed with the purple.  In a glass/crystal guy so I naturally gravitational towards the red.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.