OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

"They don't shoot well in my gun."

Started by FullChoke, May 20, 2011, 07:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

The only thing i can tell you is finding the right combination to achieve high numbers is a process that takes allot of time, effort, and money.  Testing..testing..and more testing..i figure out of respect for the wild turkey the effort is worth it.  Nothing is worse to me than crippling a turkey or a less than efficient kill.   I have gone through numerous chokes, every shell you can imagine and numerous trips to the gunsmith checking everything possible: Barrel straightness, tolerances, choke alignment, pressure issues (overchoking), polishing, polished forcing cone, etc.  

*Issues with POA/POI are not an issue with any of these guns until i screw in after market turkey chokes and shoot high pay load rounds.  My guns are shot off of sand bags so there is very little human error.
*Information from members on Old Gobbler has been essential in setting up the right gun/choke/shell combo.
*My goal with HTL has always been more effective, cleaner kills within 40yds.
These are my numbers:

Beretta xtrema:  Hevi choke .671 ,Tru glo sights,  Hevi 7's, 3.5/2.25/7's:                                    
298 in a 10in cirlcle @ 40yds

Beretta urika: Pure Gold .670, Hi Viz Sights, Hevi 7's, 3/2/7's:
250 in a 10in circle @ 40yds

Rem 870: Kicks .655, Tru glo sights Hevi 7's, 3/2/7's
234 in a 12in @ 40yds
*I shoot 12in rather than 10in with this gun because the barrel is extremely short. .:anim_25:

coyotetrpr

This whole thread is why I mostly feel that the 40 yd numbers game is a joke. In my opinion look for even pattern density. when the pattern falls apart that is max range. I dont think it should be a certain number of pellets,but how even they are spread. Sorry, all that chasing numbers on paper has gotten me is less money in the checking account, not more dead birds.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Longshanks

Quote from: coyotetrpr on May 26, 2011, 11:27:33 PM
This whole thread is why I mostly feel that the 40 yd numbers game is a joke. In my opinion look for even pattern density. when the pattern falls apart that is max range. I dont think it should be a certain number of pellets,but how even they are spread. Sorry, all that chasing numbers on paper has gotten me is less money in the checking account, not more dead birds.

What higher numbers at 40yds indicates is even pattern density...lots of density.  There are no gaps in the pattern when a gun shoots like this.  When i see golf ball size holes in a pattern i am not satisfyed.  Not looking for maximum range but more effective cleaner kills within 40yds. When I shoot turkeys with these guns i dont have to chase them.  The kills are clean and quick. The higher the pellet count is within your pattern the more effective it is when harvesting a turkey provided you are on your target when you pull the trigger. Sorry, but if you thought this was about max range you have been mislead by those promoting long distance shooting.
   I agree that hunting with a gun that turns numbers... like these guns do... is not for everyone. The patterns on these guns is more like 20" and although the evenness of the pattern is there....I do not recommend that any beginner or novice hunters shoot this type of set up.  They will have difficulty with shooting birds up close if they dont have the experience under their belt.  Novice hunters will also take extremely long shots trying to harvest turkeys at maximum ranges and the end result is allot of turkeys crippled and less than clean kills .  Finally, If someones shooting abilities are in question... these are not the setups for them.