turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First Archery Deer

Started by davisd9, November 23, 2020, 07:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

My good buddy Deacon as been after me to get into bow hunting. I have almost done it a few times the last couple years but just never did. He said it was the closet to our beloved turkey hunting you could get with deer. Another good buddy, youngbucktx, gifted me a bow mid September. It was an older Browning. I practiced a good bit and one evening the string broke and it was not worth fixing. I went bought a mid grade Bear bow package and got to practicing.

I have had 3 bucks in range this year but light conditions and trash stopped the shot. Last Friday eve I had a big 10 point at 30 yards but in trash with no shot. His 6th scent kicked in and I watched him stroll off into my dreams. Kind of glad he was not my first with a bow as he would be hard to top.

Any way Saturday morning I got in the stand and had a buck come out around 7:00 am. He has in range but not my lane. After about 10-15 minutes of an agonizing wait and he stepped in my lane. I drew back and got caught at full draw. Had to hold in awkward position for what felt like a hour but was probably 10 seconds or so. He dropped his head so I put it on him and squeezed release. Well I shot him high but he dropped. It hit the spine so he could not go anywhere. I knocked another arrow and got a second shot where I hit the heart, he died quickly after that. Very proud of this deer and cannot wait to continue bow hunting them. Was a true rush and made me feel like that rookie all over again. Was a great hunt all the way around as the woods were alive. Heard wood ducks flying to the river, birds were singing their song, squirrels were doing their thing, turkeys were calling, and even heard a couple gobbles.

Now that I have killed a couple bucks,one with my middle son and this one, I am going to focus on a couple bigger deer I have on camera.  Pressure is off with the bow so I am going to enjoy the season.  Been hearing and seeing turkeys pretty regular as well so I always have them to get a smile from and hogs are showing up pretty regularly so I may can get a shot on one of them

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Rapscallion Vermilion

Well done my friend, congratulations!

3bailey3

Awesome hunt, Congrats! nothing like hearing turkey while deer hunting!

trkehunr93

Way to go Donald!  Glad to see you've went down the bow hunting rabbit hole. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Happy

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Vintage

2eagles

Turkey hunting is great.
Archery deer hunting is better!
Good deer there!!

davisd9

Quote from: 2eagles on November 26, 2020, 07:37:39 PM
Turkey hunting is great.
Archery deer hunting is better!
Good deer there!!

Absolutely wrong! Sorry but nothing tops turkeys!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

captpete

Congrats on a nice deer! Like said above, welcome to "sickness" of bow hunting. The next thing you know, you will be using the bow to hunt turkeys.

CAPTJJ

Well done, always nice to see a good buck as first deer taken with a bow.

Bowguy

Bowguy

Don I'm a little hesitant to say but something you mentioned caught my attn. You mentioned squeezing trigger? Idk if you understand back tension but it is best to shoot that way. If you don't understand that I can text you some video. It'll help come longer range shooting. Now I'm not by any means encouraging long range I'm just an archery instructor and am offering that info. It'll help all ranges. If you want it I'll help you.

reflexl