OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I dont know about you guys...

Started by MarkJM, May 19, 2011, 12:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkJM

I dont know about you guys but I get EXCITED and pumped when I get into the shop to make a call. I love making box calls and pot calls, I love trying new experiments on things. Being in the shop just puts me in a world of me own. :turkey2:
MuellerCustomCalls

a-j calls

The Lord gives each and everyone of us a gift, for some of us, it making calls.

Cut*N*Run

I like that moment when I get to dip a cloth in my finish and watch the wood pop. That first chance you get to take the bean can off of the call and run a striker across it is pretty cool too.

I have a bad habit of burning out on hobbies, but this one is pretty self propelling. I try to mix it up by cycling between pot calls, deer calls, and pens to keep things fresh.

kenturkey89

I completely agree with everything each of you has said.

I absolutely love going to the shop!  I can sit there and turn and 3 hours goes by and it feels more like 45 minutes.  I only make pot calls right now but eventually I would like to attempt to make a few boxes as well, but need to master the pot calls first.  I usually have trouble with burning out on certain hobbies as well so I've also been turning pens and there's other turning projects I'd like to get in to like making bowls, spindles, and fishing lures!
Brian

lightsoutcalls

I needed to get a few calls turned last night.  I got home around 5 pm and turned one pot before dinner (buckeye burl slate).  After dinner I turned a canarywood and a mesquite pot for slates, a bubinga pot for glass and a yellowheart and a mahogany pot for anodized aluminum.  I got them finish sanded, signed and 4 coats of lacquer applied by 9:30 and headed in for the night. 

I remember the days where I would sit and sketch different call or striker designs in meetings at work, etc.  I remember not being able to get to sleep at night for having an idea I just had to try.  I seldom do that anymore.  I guess I found my niche.  I've tried box calls, tube calls, mouth calls, crow calls, grunt calls, predator calls and scratch boxes.  I keep coming back to pot calls and strikers, as that is what I seem to do best.  Oh, I still get excited when a new board arrives on the front porch.  I enjoy browsing ebay when I find time to look for wood.  I occaisionally even round up a few blocks of "found" wood here and there.  I guess the part I most enjoy now is talking with the customer who has just finished a successful hunt with one of my calls.  I don't think that will ever get to be "run of the mill"! 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

MarkJM

I agree with what all of you have said. it never gets old for me, pot calls are my main calls and sell the most. I enjoy a lot of woodburning on my box calls. I am wondering, has anyone tried putting soundboards in box calls? not that they need them but I thouht it was an interesting idea.
MuellerCustomCalls

Roost Wrecker

I seen a box call on ebay that was a boxcall, owl hooter, push pin, and something else that I cant remember just looked like you needed a backpack to carry it!

pappy

Today when I was in the shop a couple of gentlemen came up to the open garage door in front, one had bought a pot call from me a couple months back, he had his brother from Indianna with him. The first thing out of his mouth, "Welcome to pappy's dirty shop".... this is my thrill, my life has been garnished with so much that getting in the shop to let off some creative steam and relax is a true blessing and I thank God every day for the chance to do so. Unlike Wendell, I have not seemd to have found my nitch yet as I enjoy all of the challanges in making all sorts of calls, I guess it is the wood, like what was said earlier by Cut*N*Run, putting that first hint of finish on it and watching it come alive...wow nothing like it...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

KryptoniteKills

I was introduced to the wood lathe three years ago and it has become an obsession. I have been sleep deprived ever since (my free time is after everyones in bed). I love the smell of wood, I love making pot calls and bowls, I love the hum of the lathe, and most of all I too love to see the wood come alive with a finish.

NCStrutter

This is a cool thread.  It kinda takes us all back to when we started making calls in the beginning. For some it has only been a few months and for others it has been years.  Either way, fond shop memories and conversations over our calls keep this heritage alive.  Additionally, for me at least, it helps keep me sane.  I fall asleep every night "thinking" of what I will work on or create the next day in the shop.  This may sound strange, but I have gotten up from bed in the middle of the night because a thought came to me. I would go out into my shop and visualize it just so i would not forget to act upon the idea.  Man, I need help!
"For it is in the Woods, Marshes, and Fields that Retrievers make thier own legends and become our Heroes"

bcc2011

I couldn't agree more with you, now if my wife wouldn't get so jealous all the time when im in the shop. It is just a great feeling when you finally get a call to sound right.
Brother Custom Calls

TarheelTurk

I dont know how I can explain it any better than yall already have.I LOVE turkey HUNTING & I guess i have always loved art and been BLESSed w/ being somewhat artistic, so call building kinda combines the 2 sorta. I've only been call building for a few months so far and absolutely love/obsessed w/  this too. So the only the thing i'll add(like others said)is I wanna thank GOD for giving me the ability and the second thanks goes out to all of you that cont.. to help me along the way.To date the best feeling i've had was donating the first successful call i made to a wounded warrior type hunt locally followed closely by the feeling i felt when i called in a bird this past season using a call i built for my friend it was awesome to say the least. Like someone else said i do look forward to the chance to try new ideas & log on to this site to look @ some of the talented call makers calls  on here & chat about different topics.
Jason
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL